Whether you’re a veteran artist looking to make a career change, or are still on active duty overseas, at the New Hampshire Institute of Art you’ll find the support you need to pursue a degree in the arts.


To confirm your eligibility for benefits, you can apply for benefits online. Applicants should forward a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and Certificate of Release and Discharge (DD Form 214) to the Office of the Registrar at NHIA:

Office of the Registrar
New Hampshire Institute of Art
148 Concord Street,
Manchester, NH 03104
For questions, call the registrar at (603) 836-2511.

Transfer Credit

We recognize the assessment of prior learning by accepting appropriate CLEP, ACE, DANTES, military/basic training, and other accredited credit-granting organizations. Transfer credits from these organizations will be assessed on a case by case basis according to our transfer credit policy. If you have transfer credits that you’d like to apply to your education, have an official copy of your transcripts (from each school or exam location) be sent to the Office of the Registrar at NHIA.


Post 9/11 G.I. Bill (Chapter 33)

At a minimum, you must have served at least 30 days of continuous active duty service after September 10, 2001 and be discharged due to a service-connected disability, or served 90 consecutive days of active duty service after September 10, 2001, and:

  • Be honorably discharged from Armed Forces or;
  • Be released from Armed Forces with service characterized as honorable and placed on the retired list, temporary disability retired list, or transferred to the Fleet Reserve or the Fleet Marine Corps Reserve or;
  • Be released from the Armed Forces with service characterized as honorable for further service in a reserve component or;
  • Be discharged or released from Armed Forces for EPTS (medical condition Existing Prior to Service,) HDSP (Hardship), CIWD (Condition Interfered with Duty) or;
  • Continue to be on active duty.

To be eligible for the full benefit, you must have three years of active duty service after 9/11 or have been discharged due to a service-connected disability. The Post 9-11 GI bill educational veterans benefits will pay eligible veterans up to $21,084.89 (for the 2015-2016 academic year) per academic year for tuition & fees. An annual books & supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment. A monthly housing allowance (MHA) rate for an E-5 with dependents based on the zip code and the school's location. Access a BAH Calculator.

This veterans benefits provide up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. The Post-9/11 GI Bill also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their G.I. Bill to dependents.

Montgomery G.I. Bill (Chapter 30)

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. MGIB encompasses both the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and The Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606). Under Chapter 30, Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. For more information on benefit rates, please click here.

Veterans' Vocational Rehabilitation Programs (Chapter 31)

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) is intended to help the service-disabled veteran become independent in daily living and, to the extent possible, to select, prepare for, and secure entry level employment which is compatible with his or her interests, abilities, and physical capabilities.

Get started at NHIA today - Apply Now